Friday, May 11, 2007

Watch the Bubbles

We've covered a lot of ground here in the Dive Evangelist since first debuting this blog back in January. My compadres and I have waxed philosophical, political, whimsical and satirical on everything from dive logs and safety sausages to dolphin slaughters and shark finning. These topics are important. We need to dive safely, we have to be stewards of the environment in which we play, we should strive to keep learning every time we dive.

But every now and then, I like to go back to basics, to remind myself why these things matter to me. Why I care about the horrors of shark finning, the dangers of DCS and the state of my equipment and knowledge. The reason: I love diving. It's that simple. I can't get enough of it. And we've got an enthusiastic membership almost 800-strong that shares that love. I'm sure more than a few of you visit this blog often, wondering when it will be updated, or visit the Oceanblue Divers site, hoping to see a new event posted. You too love diving.

While it's important to think of the big picture -- the environmental, political and safety issues related to diving -- as we enjoy this wonderful sport, we should also remember the simple joy it brings. Just as we need to occasionally stop to smell the roses in our daily lives, in our hobby we need to occasionally stop to watch the bubbles.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]